- Published: 13.01.2021
- published till: 13.02.2021
Commercial Manager (Pre-Contract)
We are looking for a Commercial Manager to join our growing team. This role is specifically to support the pre contract stage on major projects.
Youi will be accountable for the commercial management of a c. £150m tender incorporating GRIP 4 – 8 design and delivery of slab track, rail and civils works. You'll be working working with other function managers and the tender team to providing advice to the Head of Commercial and Directors, ensuring successful delivery and adherence to best practice and company processes at all levels, working in the best interests of the business.
The Commercial Manager is the most senior commercial position within the bid delivery structure, reporting directly to the Head of Commercial and with functional management from the Project Lead.
The Commercial Manager will work on and have responsibility for contractual / legal and procurement requirements throughout the bid. On successful tender, the Commercial Manager will be ideally positioned to continue as commercial lead throughout works delivery and will be expected to advise on and recruit the right team for the delivery of works.
- Provide commercial leadership throughout the tender process by working with division heads to produce and oversee production of Bills of Quantities, activity schedules and target costs to the required methods of measurement and provide detailed responses to commercial questions.
- Review contracts and contract documents, overseeing legal reviews where relevant and advising on the requirement for PCG’s, bonds and guarantees.
- Negotiate client contract terms and advise signatories / senior management on risks remaining post negotiation and measures to be taken in their management.
- Provide and control strategy of commercial contacts with client’s representatives.
- Maintain effective communication with division managers, project management, QS’s and other associated disciplines acting as an escalation point to resolve team issues.
- Maintain relationships and contracts with clients and clients’ representatives.
- Ensure that accurate project procurement plans are in place, giving support on cost, risk and time scales. Advising on and working with Procurement to draft appropriate contract forms.
- Oversee subcontract tendering by directing the commercial and procurement teams, drafting enquiries, identifying risk and assessing tender returns to provide well-formed recommendations.
- Ensure that subcontract tendering processes result in the execution of mutually beneficial agreements to meet delivery timescales, considering wider procurement needs and our responsibilities to the client.
- Oversee costing activities, utilising a sound working knowledge of the costing structure, method of measurement, contract form and relationships for a particular project.
- Develop a post-contract plan and strategy for appropriate contract commercial management, including but not limited to cost capture, record keeping systems, accurate and cash positive forecasting, change management and risk analysis and management.
- Maintain accurate monthly bid cost reports and forecasts.
- Prevent over-spend and formulate and execute recovery plans where it is unavoidable.
- Provide commercial advice across teams in connection with all project issues.
- Ensure compliant contract administration by all delivery team members.
- Take part in discussions concerning project performance and provide commercial input to project strategy.
- Manage time and workloads for yourself and the commercial team in a structured manner.
- Scrutinise and review the work of direct reports to ensure accuracy.
- Assist in drafting of and ensure that all team members follow company commercial procedure and best practice.
- Carry out other relevant duties as required from time to time.
Key Skills & Behaviours
- Maintain high personal safety and environmental standards in accordance with company policy.
- Strong contractual awareness of a variety of contract forms and contracting mechanisms including target cost, NEC and Network Rail forms of contract.
- A high level of IT literacy across packages including MS Office.
- Excellent written and verbal communication at all levels.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage a team to deliver to tight deadlines whilst maintaining professional relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders, demonstrating the ability to translate complex information into easy-to-understand plans and methodologies throughout tender and delivery phases.
- The ability to work with semi-autonomously whilst delivering best commercial practice to enhance commercial performance, reduce risk and recognising when to seek advice.
- Must be flexible, quick to adapt to support other work streams as and when required.
Key Qualifications / Experience
- A background in civil engineering and / or rail projects, with a minimum of 5 years Quantity Surveying experience (post degree / beyond trainee or assistant level).
- Successful experience leading the commercial function on projects and managing teams.
- Experience in all programme lifecycle, particularly the successful delivery of large-scale multi-discipline tenders.
- Take-off of technical drawings and preparation of bills using the RMM.
- Delivery of projects in a variety of structures and contractual arrangements including joint ventures and alliances.
- Delivery of projects under the NEC form of contract and forms under the Network Rail NR suite.
- Thorough knowledge of rail construction procedures and working methods.
- Knowledge of Government legislation and company policy on all matters relating to safety and environment.
- The ability to negotiate in a collaborative manner and achieve positive outcome for the business.
- Enhanced knowledge of construction law, contractual relationships and key contractual requirements.
- Experience delivering projects under other forms of contract, such as JCT and IChemE.
- Minimum 2:1 BSc in Commercial Management, Quantity Surveying, or another related field.
- Knowledge of quantity surveying to corporate Member of CICES (MCInstCES) or Member of RICS (MRICS).
- Experience in dispute avoidance, resolution and contractual claim formulation and settlement.
Direct applications only - no agency applications will be considered